By: Dharmasiri Ehelapola
Majority of the people enjoy flying and cherish the experience when seated in a higher class. Only very few people get nervous with thoughts of fear that something may go wrong.
Thought of being involved in a plane crash is not a pleasant one. People are helpless during such situations and nothing much one can do to save when falling from 36000 feet out of the sky.
First plane crashed occurred in the year 1908.
Sole survivors from 1936 to 2017 are 58 (ref Wikipedia)
Another sole survivor is a former Serbian flight attendant, Vesna Vulović. According to the Guinness Book of Records she holds the record for surviving the highest fall without a parachute at 10,160 meters (33,330 ft). There was some controversy in 2009 when it was reported that her story might have been communist propaganda, but black box data strongly supported the official story
In the year 2016, 325 people died in 19 airplane crashes worldwide.
Though many accidents reported in recent past, still the safest mode of transportation is travel by air. In fact, the odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights
Among passengers aboard crashed planes, 95.7 percent survive. And according to the National Transportation Safety Board, even passengers of the most devastating airplane crashes survive at a rate of 76 percent.
There are no hard and fast rules to survive a plane crash, luck may play a percentage, however few useful tips are given below may help to fly without fear of crash.
- Read the safety instructions, pay attention during safety briefing by crew. Study the location of life jackets/oxygen mask. Emergency exists.
- From where you are seated count the number of rows to the emergency exist, this will help if you have to get to the emergency exist in pitch dark.
- 11 minutes rule –In aviation it accounts to first three minutes of the journey and last 8 minutes of the journey. 80 percent of the plane crashes occurred during these 11 minutes. Pay attention during this period and don’t fall asleep.
- Panic –never panic as it is the number one enemy of survival stay calm and listen to instructions.
- Just 90 seconds – there are only 90 seconds to get out of the plane ,and any longer the fire can burn through the aluminum skin of the plane and engulf everything.
- Do not waste time looking for your handbag after a crash, instead get to the exist in double quick time.
- Avoid excessive alcoholic drinks during the journey
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes, particularly ladies should avoid wearing high heels.