Crew of a Sri Lankan Airlines A330-200 plane carrying 202 passengers from Kochi to Colombo, have quenched a fire triggered by a mobile phone battery in an overhead locker.
A smoke came from an overhead bin was detected after a meal service. Crew tried to stop the smoke with fire extinguisher. Since it failed then put the luggage in water suspecting it as a fire caused by lithium battery.
The crew found a lithium battery pack and two mobile phones upon investigation.
The total duration of the flight is only 70 minutes.
The airline mentioned that a major incident has been averted by the wit of attendants of the flight on Sunday from Kochi to Colombo.